We spent last Christmas in Texas–Houston, San Antonio, Austin, and “Hill Country.” Somehow we missed the fun of New Braunfels. If you’re going to be vacationing in Texas, consider adding New Braunfels to your list, with attractions like these:
- The original Schlitterbahn waterpark, which is popular not only as a summer splash destination, but also at Christmas time, when it shines with ice skating and one million lights.
- Natural Bridge Caverns, a National Natural Landmark discovered 50 years ago.
- Natural Bridge Wildlife Ranch, where you can take a Texas-styled African safari from the comfort of your car.
- McKenna Children’s Museum, one of the top children’s museums in the region.
- Wurstfest, a festival in October and November that calls itself “a ten-day salute to sausage.”
- In addition to these attractions, the town itself is charming, touting its German heritage, two beautiful rivers, and the large Landa Park.
To learn more about New Braunfels, Texas, please visit their website at http://nbcham.org.
Linda (minnemom) writes about family travel at Travels with Children.
If she’d had another few days in Texas, New Braunfels would have been on her list.